A Queens fire that left 17 people injured — including nine cops and three firefighters — was sparked by a hot halogen lamp left too close to a flammable item, FDNY officials said Saturday.
There were no working smoke detectors in the apartment, officials said.
After the fire erupted about 11:20 a.m., eight police officers and their sergeant raced into the high-rise near Beach 87th St. and started evacuating people from the 13-story building before they ended up getting trapped on the ninth floor.
17 injured, including 9 cops, in Queens apartment building fire
“There was a lot of heavy smoke so they couldn’t find their way out,” an NYPD source said. “After a short time, they found a stairwell and got out.”Fire marshals determined Friday’s blaze inside an 11th floor apartment on Shore Front Parkway in Rockaway Beach was accidental after finding the halogen lamp was to blame. (David Wexler/For New York Daily News)
The cops were hospitalized with smoke inhalation, the NYPD said.
Three firefighters and five civilians were also injured in the fire, officials said. Two of the injured firefighters and one civilian suffered serious injuries, FDNY officials said. One resident remained in critical condition Saturday.
The fire was put out within an hour.
Residents of the building said Friday the tenant living in the apartment which caught fire was a hoarder and the items he had amassed fed the fire. The FDNY was unable to confirm that Saturday.
Source : http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens-blaze-ignited-halogen-lamp-left-close-object-article-1.3754771